Thursday, June 21, 2007

Famous Studios Backgrounds-Tom Ford

I've been spending a lot of time capturing screenshots of the backgrounds from various Famous cartoons. I'll be doing a series of posts highlighting the different background artists that worked at Famous Studios during the mid to late 40s and early 50s. I'm very fond of a lot of the shorts Famous put out during that period and aside from some great animation here and there, I love the backgrounds.

Tom Ford is one of the artists that really caught my eye right away, particularly the backgrounds in "Teacher's Pest" and "Helter Swelter". Please excuse the quality of some of the pics as those are from public domain DVDs and I think we all know the quality is usually not that great.

"Teacher's Pest"

"Law and Audrey"

"Little Audrey Rainmaker"

"Sock-A-Bye Kitty"

"Helter Swelter"

"Mice Paradise"

"The Voice Of Turkey"

"Cat Choo"

"The Emerald Isle"

6 comments:

Thad said...

I'd say it's my dirty secret, but everyone knows I love Famous Studios cartoons. I love a lot of the animation, the voices, and the music.

I'm going to do some more Marty Taras posts from them when I get my laptop back from BestSty.

Paul F. Etcheverry said...

Thanks for the cool stuff on your blog, Kevin!

You know this, but it bears repeating. Shane Miller was responsible for some amazing background and foreground art in the 1940's Famous Studios cartoons.

Ryan Khatam said...

wow what great backgrounds!

Michael said...

As a veteran BG artist myself, I must salute you for bringing this work to public attention. Some of it is of great merit, and (it has to be said) some are just backgrounds!

I think my blog links to yours because of your respect for BG artists, as well as all the other quality content you show us here, for which, many thanks.

Michael said...

As a veteran BG artist myself, I must salute you for bringing this work to public attention. Some of it is of great merit, and (it has to be said) some are just backgrounds!

I think my blog links to yours because of your respect for BG artists, as well as all the other quality content you show us here, for which, many thanks.

rnigma said...

I always found it sweetly quaint that Famous referred to the backgrounds as "Scenics" in the credits.