Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Walt Kelly - Pogo

Here's the first week of Walt Kelly's Pogo from the short lived paper the New York Star. I'm assuming that Pogo didn't appear in the Saturday editions as I can't seem to find any. Though I'm no authority on the subject. I noticed that Volume One of the Pogo collections from Fantagraphics is up for pre-order on Amazon but there's no date. The publishing date on the book info says November of '09 so maybe it will finally be released this fall. On the other hand I read on a forum that Fantagraphics will be releasing it closer to the 2010 San Diego Comic Con. Anyone out there have a definitive release date for the first volume?

8 comments:

Craig said...

I wonder why no one has done a retrospective or compilation of Bill Hollman's SMOKEY STOVER? Now there's a property ripe for re-examnation.

Anonymous said...

WOW!this is really neat seeing Pogo at the start of his long career. beautiful scans also---charlie

chrisallison said...

AWESOME! Adding this to my inking reference file. I really like how Kelly pushes the boundaries of the traditional "just outline" funny animal inking and puts in some solid blacks and subtle textures. I gotta start studying and aping this stuff! Good to have some early stuff so I can see where the ideas kinda started.

Daniel [oeconomist.com] said...

Readers might want to stop by Thom Buchanan's Pogo in Pandemonia.

Kevin Langley said...

Thanks for the great link!

Jack G. said...

Well, it nice to know that the new Pogo releases are still happening.

It's been quite a few years since I heard Fantagraphics first mention this

Bill said...

I love Pogo. He the best.

gbeaudette said...

I ordered that book in July of 07, but at least Amazon still has hope.