Tuesday, October 02, 2007

New Gumby DVD

I don't know if many of the classic cartoon lovers out there love Gumby but I certainly do. I have a bunch of cheap Gumby DVDs, but either they are of terrible quality or the soundtracks have been replaced with horrible synth music. That's just brutal for me, being that I'm a fanatic for those old stock cues. The episodes have been restored and scenes that were deleted on some DVDs have been included. There's a few of the 80s shows on it which are weaker than the original 50s and 60s. I've taken some screen shots from the new DVD and compared it with the same frame from a Cartoon Craze dollar DVD. What a difference. To quote a friend "Wow, the old ones look like they've been soaking in piss." I bring this up because I haven't seen it mentioned that much on any sites.

6 comments:

William said...

I too have loved Gumby and am wondering why dollar DVDs aren't more a subject for discussion on cartoon blogs, or in the community total. Sure, they are atrocious quality by any standards, but one must admit they have a wealth of old cartoons that may have never been seen again if it weren't for a dollar. I have tons of old 30's Fleischer toons on dollar DVDs and recently discovered my neighbor's kids love their own!

In a way, having these shit quality cartoons is introducing greatness to kids on a national level. Uh, possibly. It's really on conjecture.

William said...

Gumbasia! I had forgotten! What an awesome, strange discovery indeed.

Kevin Langley said...

I have a large collection of Dollar DVDs too. Every once in a while you find one that isn't really that bad looking. Even then, I'd rather have a low quality copy than nothing at all.

Anonymous said...

Excellent wuality, and these are on YouTube and on AOLIn2TV as well.

Steve J.Carras
gcarras@aol.com

Ryan Khatam said...

i LOVE gumby & i totally forgot about it being on dvd. thanks for reminding me!

Luke Allen said...

Have you seen the Shanghai Expo 2010 mascot character? EXACTLY the same.. total total ripoff. The genius designer who was paid (too much) for the design.. said he was inspired by a drip... The expo character is ugly as sin!

See IT here - http://tinyurl.com/nul5ox