Monday, February 27, 2006

Scrub Me Mamma

Once in a while I'm going to post some pics from different cartoons I like. Some of the best and funniest drawings in cartoons only last a frame or so. I'm gonna start by posting some screen grabs from a favorite cartoon of mine, Walter Lantz' Scrub Me Mamma With A Boogie Beat released in 1941. The song is great and the dancing in this cartoon is so well done. Unfortunately, the only copy I have is from one of those dollar DVDs but it's better than nothing. It's a shame cartoons like this get swept under the rug because of the racial stereotypes depicted in them. So many are so well done, like Goldilocks and the Three Jivin' Bears or Tin Pan Alley Cats. Bob Clampett's Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs, besides being a masterpiece, it also featured a black cast which was unheard of at the time. So before anyone gets offended at the images remember it's just a cartoon that should also be looked upon in the context of the time it was created.






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man! You've got to show me this stuff homes!

Kevin Langley said...

I can post some more pics from it but it's not quite as much fun as watching it.

Anonymous said...

No man, you got to show me next month.